Komen Tulsa is the local source for funding breast cancer detection, support and educational awareness in the Tulsa Affiliate Service Area. Each year, in collaboration with local breast cancer organizations, health care providers, clinics and other community partners, lives are positively impacted throughout the breast cancer continuum of care from the investment of grant funds.
Community Grant Program Impact
This year through our community grants, Komen Tulsa is investing $400 thousand in education, screening and diagnosis programs in eastern Oklahoma provided by 4 local organizations that serve uninsured or underinsured residents in our service area. Since it was founded in 1997, Komen Tulsa has invested more than $6 million in local breast health agencies and organizations.
The funds Komen grants to community programs in our service area have made a positive difference in the lives of those living with this deadly disease.
In 2015 Komen Tulsa funding provided:
- 11,670 with breast cancer specific education and awareness information
- 2,538 no-cost screening mammograms
- 1,455 no-cost clinical breast exams for medically underserved in the Komen Tulsa Affiliate service area
- 332 no-cost diagnostic mammograms and ultrasounds
- 158 medically underserved women were provided with patient navigation services for breast health care
- 148 medically underserved women were provided with financial assistance, including low-cost or no-cost office visits and transportation, for breast health services
- 34 breast cancers were detected in people who otherwise may not have had access to this life-saving information who are now able to seek treatment
The remaining 25 percent of net funds were invested in the Susan G. Komen Grants Program managed at the national level. To learn more about Susan G. Komen’s research investment, click here.